Business+Academics=A Career in Higher Ed

When I was little, my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up… my answer, a lawyer! That’s because I didn’t know about any other careers, heck, I really didn’t even know what an attorney did except that it sounded very grown up.

When I was in college, I still didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grow up. Higher education was never an industry that I thought about, I sort of fell into it but it’s where I belong. Think about it for a second, I get to be in a position where I hear people’s dreams and inspiration. I work in an environment where it’s always live and full of action, the energy on campus is always so inspiring. Also, the world of higher ed isn’t going anywhere, this is an industry that continues to grow and expand!

So check this out, the Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking four interns for their summer 2014 session! This is your exclusive chance to gain professional experience in reporting and writing about higher education. Imagine that, you can combine your academic background with higher ed.

For the internship…

• Applicants must show a strong interest in pursuing a career in journalism with relevant coursework or prior experience.
  • The internships are full-time in their Washington, D.C. office. In addition to a $500 weekly stipend, academic credit can often be arranged.
  • Interns will report and write daily news articles for The Chronicle’s Web site (which often appear subsequently in print), write news articles for other sections of the newspaper, blog, and do research for special projects.

Interns who prove themselves as reporters and writers are often asked to write full-length features. All writing, including that done by staff reporters, is carefully edited. Interns typically leave with a set of strong, varied clips.

Interested? Apply today: http://chronicle.com/section/Editorial-Internships/158/?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 3, 2014 – no exceptions.