Bringing Your Study Abroad Experience Back Home

As college students we are always on the lookout for the next big adventure. We want to make lasting memories so that when we graduate, we can look back on our college experience and know for certain that it was a great one. One great adventure that Babson not only offers but heavily promotes is having students study abroad. I went to Singapore to study abroad during the Fall Semester of my Junior year and had the time of my life. From being at the Formula 1 night race in Singapore to meeting CEOs of major companies and venture capitalists, there was never a dull moment while I was there.

However, when I got back to Babson I figured that that was it. I had gone to Singapore, learned a lot, and had a great time, there was nothing more I could get from my experience abroad. I could not have been more wrong. When recently speaking to a recruiter from a top financial institution, I was asked about my experience in Singapore because she (the recruiter) had always wanted to travel there.  She took great interest in my time abroad and what I had learned. The whole conversation was focused on my time abroad and I walked away from that conversation with an interview.

I never thought my study abroad experience would be able to do that for me and was extremely suprised that it did. It’s safe to say that I am adding it to  my resume and marketing it better when I apply for jobs because you never know when your experience abroad will help you at home.