Undergraduate Blog / Admission

Looking Back – Moving Forward

June 4th, 2013 marked my one-year “workaversary” as part of the Babson Admission Staff. It really blows my mind to think that I’ve been here for now slightly over a year – I guess the time really does fly when you’re having fun and doing what you love. I’ve learned so much about the field of higher education and really, about myself over the past twelve months, that I can’t really begin to put it into words…but I’ll try.

From orientation, to week #1 of travel, from the very first application I read, to my very last deposit I received – it has truly been a whirlwind of information overload, but I think I have just about soaked in all of the basics. I have had countless conversations with students and families from all across the country and the globe, I have learned how to properly pronounce the word “entrepreneurship” (and spell it, without having to triple think it anymore) and I now truly understand the meaning of the phrase, ” Finding the Right Fit.”

With all of that said, the most important thing I’ve taken away from this first year in Admission can best be summed up in a quote that I recently discovered from American author and poet Maya Angelou:

Maya Angelou Quote

Students and families alike will visit to many schools throughout the college search process, and we all know that information can get lost, mixed-up or perhaps, can go unheard altogether…people will forget what you said. If on an off day (and yes, we all have them) you make a mistake in a presentation or just forget one aspect of campus…people will forget what you did. But regardless of anything said or done, the people you interact with daily will never forget that you remembered their name, took the time to answer a personal question following a campus tour, or wrote a thank you email…people will never forget how you made them feel. So I’ve learned to treat every student, just as they are – unique and special to the process. No two students, interactions, applications, etc. will ever be the same and it’s the personal touches that make all difference. This may be the most important lesson I ever take away from this profession and I’ll be sure not to forget it.

For the past year, I have written to you, my audience, from the eyes of a Rookie Admission Counselor, but with a full cycle under my belt, it’s time to begin round two.

Are you ready? Here we go…