One Day, I Woke Up in Spain…

…and this time, it wasn’t a dream! Since January 7th, I’ve been living and studying in Seville, Spain. First off, let me provide a quick introduction. My name is Sarah Yim, and I’m a Social Media Ambassador at Babson, current junior (I still can’t believe how time flies!) concentrating in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, Massachusetts native, professional photography hobbyist, and food enthusiast.

SarahYim - Plaza de Espana

Jumping for joy in front of the Plaza de España

Each student has their own goals and reasons when choosing to study abroad. First off, let me dispel the belief right that, as a college student, you have to study abroad. This is definitely not the case! Don’t feel pressured to study abroad. Some people will study abroad during their college careers, and others will not. If you don’t want to commit to an entire semester or year abroad, consider a shorter-term Babson Elective Abroad. I decided to study abroad because I knew from the moment I entered college that it was something I wanted to do. After giving it months of thought, I withdrew my application to study in Barcelona for fall 2012 and later applied to study in Seville this spring and was (obviously) accepted!

Why I chose this location and program:

1. Cultural immersion – I wanted to be thrown into a completely unfamiliar culture, and Spain (particularly southern Spain) definitely fell into that category.
  2. Language improvement – Having studied Spanish since 6th grade, I  feel as though I’m nowhere near the level I should be at. Studying a language in a classroom and having to think and communicate in that language on a daily basis are equally important but totally different.
  3. Home stay – Living in a home stay has been one of the most integral parts in cultural immersion and improving my Spanish. My 65+ year old host parents do not speak any English, and although it can be frustrating at times, I have to speak Spanish at home. It’s also taught me a lot about the way of life here.
  4. Travel – I wanted to travel to other countries in Europe during my semester. However, to balance my goals of cultural immersion and traveling, I’m making sure not to travel outside of Seville every single weekend.
  5. Academics – This program was appropriate for me because it allowed me to fulfill advanced liberal arts requirements while still being able to finish my remaining business concentration requirements in the 2013-14 academic year.

I can’t believe I’ve already been here for a month. It’s been an incredible journey so far, and it isn’t even close to ending.