First Week at Ferretti

Just a week ago I was exiting the arrivals terminal at JFK blurry-eyed and groggy from a red eye flight from LAX. Even though the sun had just began rising and I was on less than 5 hours of sleep the early morning humidity and iced coffee I had immediately purchased after landing slowly nudged at my senses to remind me that my summer in New York City had officially began. I waved down an infamous yellow taxi cab and as I sat down on the worn leather seats I gave the address to the NYU dorm I will be living in and began my dissent into Manhattan. I spent the rest of the day settling into my room, exploring my little corner of the city, and fell asleep before the sun even set.

The next morning I was more than ready to report to the AEFFE U.S.A. office and start my internship. Thanks to the help of my iPhone and a few kind strangers I was able to make my way uptown on the subway and not get too lost in between all the streets and avenues. Immediately after entering the building I was ushered to the Alberti Ferretti showroom where they had just received their Resort/Spring 2013 Collection earlier that morning. The boxes piled high by the service elevator needed to be unpackaged, the clothes steamed and pressed, and a line-up of the collection needed to be constructed all before the next day when sales appointments would begin rolling in. I was quickly introduced to the two Sales Executives and three other interns I will be working with this summer and before even receiving a tour of the rest of the showroom I was given a project to do with another intern. The other interns who had been there already for a few weeks now – since I was just returning from my semester abroad – hastily showed me the ins and outs of the showroom and explained to me the daily responsibilities we had in the office as interns. My first day went by quickly and I left hopeful for the exciting summer ahead of me!

The rest of the week went by in fast haze filled with numerous sales appointments, model fittings, and a photo shoot for the collection’s look book. I’ve been learning so much about the sales process between Alberta Ferretti and their buyers and am looking forward to being able to sit in on a few appointments this coming week.