First days at Alberta Ferretti

Hi! My name is Sagiri Gidwani and I’m a rising Junior at Babson College. This summer I am interning at Aeffe Group with Alberta Ferretti in New York City. The company is comprised of several Italian designer brands, including Alberta Ferretti, Pollini, Moschino, and Jean-Paul Gaultier. Aeffe Group sells the designer clothes at wholesale prices to department and specialty stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman, etc. I am a wholesale intern within the Alberta Ferretti division, and I found this internship through a friend from Babson who had previously worked with the company.

I have already had such a great time working the first few days at Alberta Ferretti. The people I work with are really nice and I love the exciting energy that everyone seems to have. So on the first day that I worked, I was given a tour of the Alberta Ferretti showroom and some of the other floors as well (each floor of the building represents a different designer). My first task was to help organize the model closet and take out a few things that were crowding the area. I then went on to help fill in the Alberta Ferretti and Philosophy clothing/accessories database to help keep track of some of the items from last season that were not sold.

My second day at work was more exciting, as there were a few model casting appointments. A few girls came in to try on some outfits to be booked for the buyer appointments. I’ve always enjoyed watching television shows related to fashion, such as America’s Next Top Model, so it was really exciting for me to see a model casting in real life! I also had to help prepare for a lunch meeting with the Italian chief designer of Moschino. It was so cool to see the top players of this fashion brand, and the whole atmosphere was just amazing! Upon entering the Moschino showroom, I could hear music playing, all the Moschino clothes were hanging on the racks, a  few models were walking around showing off the Moschino clothing, while some of the designers and President of Aeffe commented on the outfits.

One of the best things about being an intern at Aeffe is that not only am I exposed to the Alberta Ferretti brand, but I also get to help out with the other brands on every floor. So as an intern, I am able to meet different people working at each floor and see how everything is running. The whole experience of working in the fast-paced fashion industry is really exciting for me, and I can’t wait for next week to come! This coming week is “market”, which means that the Alberta Ferretti spring/summer 2013 collection comes in, and we’ll have to create 20-30 looks to show the buyers that will be coming in starting Tuesday morning. It’s going to be a hectic week, but I can’t wait for it to begin!

Sagiri