Faculty & Leadership Blog / Dean's Digest

Reading the newspaper should be part of your ongoing education

I read the news online every day. Specifically, I read The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Google News with periodic forays into The Financial Times and various weeklies. While reading the NYTimes today, I was struck by how it’s a perfect accompaniment to a Babson College education. Just consider these few examples from August 13, 2013:

Clearly I could have included dozens of articles from the business section of the Times or from anywhere within the Journal and referred back to business classes but I figured that would be belaboring the obvious.

We all have different interests at different times but I continue, even at this stage of my life, to build on both the interests that I developed and the foundation of knowledge that I gained in my undergraduate education. I certainly did not look forward to all of the distribution requirement classes that I took back in the day, but the wisdom of those requirements continues to express itself even today.

While enrolled in college, it would be easy to think that you don’t have time to read a newspaper; however, I think this would be a mistake. You can bring issues from the world into your classes, but you can also, more frequently than you might otherwise believe, apply what you learn from your classes.

Get in the habit as soon as you can of reading the newspaper. If you’re not familiar with the different papers, take a month and read several of them each day. Figure out which one you personally get the most out of. Then subscribe to it, either the print or digital edition (student editions are quite inexpensive), and commit to reading it every single day. You’ll be surprised at how much you will get out of this investment in yourself.