Faculty & Leadership Blog / Faculty in the News

10,000 Women Are Just A Start

I entirely agree with the Washington Post’s Kathleen Parker that “I am woman hear me roar” is cringe worthy.   I’m not really sure why, maybe just the timing.  But I do get goose bumps working with the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women and 10,000 Small Businesses initiatives.

What I love about the program is that it is not just about starting, or even growing, small businesses.  It is about being entrepreneurial.  It is about thinking of how you can create your lives in different ways.  This is a lot easier said in certain parts of the world than others, which is why the quotes in Parker’s article are so impactful and emotional.  Parker states that “Success has a presence all its own.”

This program shows that success, leadership, and yes, entrepreneurship, can be exhibited in many, many different ways.  These women are extraordinary in the opportunities they develop under amazing challenging circumstances.  The best part is that they are creating opportunities for success, not only for themselves and their families but for the people they hire and their families.  This means communities and societies benefit overall.

Let the roaring continue.

Patricia Greene
President’s Distinguished Professor in Entrepreneurship