Graduate Blog / Graduate Admissions

On and Off (Campus); Life as a Babson Student – Bandana Kaur MBA ’17

Diversity is a cornerstone at Babson – whether it be in the courses offered, the faculty, the food, or even the weather. But the pinnacle of diversity at Babson lies in its student populace. Representing over 70 countries, Babson’s international student population counts for 62% of the entire student body, and very few others apart from Bandana Kaur can epitomize this fact.

The “Fiery Sikhni” from Singapore is a favorite here at Babson. At 26, she has accomplished more than anyone could have imagined. With her sights set on becoming a food entrepreneur, Bandana is the go-to person at the graduate school for everyone’s presentation needs. She’s as upfront as they come, minces no words, and is the first one on the scene whenever anyone asks for help. Bandana has experienced the highs and lows of staying both on and off campus, and it is this experience that fuels her story.

What makes her uniquely Babson-ian? Read on:

Bandana (L) and Ruchi Sheth (R) building a snowman right outside their apartment in Brighton – Feb 2017

What is the one life event that has left an indelible impression on your life, and how has Babson helped you nurture that feeling?

I lost someone I loved very much during my teenage years, and ever since then I’ve always had a desire to leave a legacy, to live life extraordinarily and fully so that when I die I will have no regrets. Naturally I was drawn to entrepreneurship and with it Babson. And the experience has been spectacular! Babson has given me the right frame of mind and tools to start a business effectively, something I look forward to doing post-graduation.

What’s life at Woodside like? Would you recommend it to incoming students?

Living in Woodside obviously has its pros and cons. For me personally, being in Woodside was one of the best decisions I made. The hectic schedule in the first year and the drastic New England winter makes living on campus very convenient, and the rooms are comfortable. What makes it incredibly special though is the community that forms with having so many people around. The first year can be very overwhelming, and if not for the people around me I don’t know how I would have gotten through it. Just having so many people to hang around with, chill and even bounce ideas off of really helped me overcome the initial homesickness and later, the stress. The con is of course that it is very secluded and away from the city and even basic chores like grocery shopping can be difficult again exacerbated because of the winter. It is also very inconvenient to network in Boston given the distance, which can be hindering when looking for an internship.

What made you choose the off-campus life for the second year, and why Brighton?

The decision to move to Brighton was based on the fact that I wanted a fall internship and for that I needed to be closer to the city. Brighton is perfect because it is not smack in the heart of Boston (and therefore much more affordable) but it close enough for morning commute. It is also very well positioned to support public transport, and if not Uber Pool to the city is extremely reasonable. The downside is of course is the distance to Wellesley – it is 9 miles away from school, and the commute back to Brighton in the evenings during peak hours can be pretty testing.

What’s one memorable moment from each of the accommodations?

Bandana Kaur as “Kimberly Hart” the Power Ranger (Halloween, October 2016)

My best memories from Woodside are the kitchen birthday parties where everyone in the building would gather at midnight to celebrate our fellow Woodsidian’s birthdays. It was a wonderful tradition that brought all of us together, and the perfect excuse to eat cake! I miss having so many people to chit-chat with while cooking in the kitchen, and being able to just flit from room to room in my PJs.

Living in Brighton has been a blast! Having more than just a room has been extremely comfortable, and being close to restaurants and bars and grocery shops has made life so much more exciting. My best memory thus far has to be just having people for dinner and parties – we threw a “mean pre-Halloween rager” if I say so myself! I also got to live my dream of being a power ranger so the night was extra special.

Kimberly Hart herself would have been proud of Bandana for not just pulling that costume off, but also for being nothing lesser than a power ranger in real life. The only Singaporean in the two-year MBA Program Class of 2017, she has brought in a heady mix of South-East Asian and Punjabi cultures to the fore.

Bandana Kaur is the Director of Marketing for the Babson Association of Women MBAs and also holds a leadership position in the Design Thinking Club. Prior to joining Babson, she was the Business Development Manager at “Foodedge Gourmet” in Singapore. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, specializing in Marketing and Strategic Management, from the Singapore Management University.

Guest Writer: Prateek Chakrabarty

prateekHometown: New Delhi, India
Education: Amity University, New Delhi
Previous Experience: Technology Consulting – Indian Tobacco Company; Marketing and Advertising – Koenig Solutions Ltd.
Activities: VP Club Management, Graduate Student Council; Head Coach, MBA Soccer Club
Favorite Babson Entrepreneur: Courtney Wilson, Founder – Dropzone for Veterans