Graduate Blog / Graduate Life

My Summer as an MBA Intern: Three Stories from Babson Students

Felipe Julião with his 1st Year SLE Group. Babson SLE Groups (Signature Learning Experience Groups) are made up of 5-6 students from diverse backgrounds.

Felipe Julião, MBA 2017

Hometown: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Education:  Ibmec Business School (BA Business and Marketing), Fundação Getulio Vargas / FGV (Postgraduate Project Management)

Previous Experience: Marketing, Strategy and Business analytics at Helen of Troy – PUR Water Filtration and Consulting Industry

Activities: Co-President – Babson Marketing Club

Favorite Babson Start-up: Flora Ekpe-Idang M’17 – Corage Dolls

Summer Internship: Marketing and Business Analytics Intern at Helen of Troy Health & Home – PUR Water Filtration

I chose the industry based on what I was exposed to at Babson. Different events and club activities helped me to focus on the CPG industry and marketing. I found this position through CCD and had great help from them on the preparation for my pitch and interview. Being an international student, the internship has been a great opportunity to get to know new working cultures, experience business in US and increase my network. Having a US work experience gave me great talking points that totally changed the way I sell myself and network. I was offered to continue as part-time until graduation and I am pursuing a full-time job with them afterwards.

Helen of Troy Marlborough Office

The Helen of Troy office in Marlborough, MA. This is a view of our entrance and awesome cafe. The highlight is an amazing hot chocolate machine people congregate around every day. Photo Credit: MP Architechs

What do you want to do after Babson, and WHY? I want to continue to work on the CPG industry and open my own business in the future. CPG is my passion and working with a bigger company is a strategy to get future sponsorship and financial stability. Later, I want to open my own business. It was always my dream and I feel I can contribute to society by creating great solutions that make people’s life easier and better.

Babson MBA SLE Groups

Alyssa Ockerbloom with her 1st Year SLE Group.

Alyssa Ockerbloom, MBA 2017

Hometown: Winchester, Massachusetts, USA

Education:  Fairfield University, Fairfield CT, USA (BS in Accounting)

Previous Experience: Public Accounting at Citrin Cooperman, Marcum LLP, UHY Advisors

Activities: VP – Babson Leadership Club, VP – Babson Entrepreneurship Club, VP Finance – Graduate Student Council

Summer Internship: Product Marketing Intern at athenahealth

How did you find your internship? Babson’s Just in Time Career Fair in April. I was really attracted to athenahealth because of the robust MBA internship program they offer, the pay, and the way the experience would supplement my resume as an accounting “career switcher”.

Highlights from your Experience:

• I worked with 20 other MBAs from different schools. Building that network was amazing! I also felt very well prepared working besides MBA interns from other top business schools. I think that is a testament to what we learn at Babson.
  • Working in marketing. I had never worked in marketing before and loved the experience.
athenahealth's MBA interns out for candlepin bowling in Somerville, MA

athenahealth’s MBA interns out for bowling. Other fellow Babson MBA interns include: Kelli Sigmond M’17, Tyne Thiele M’17 & Logan Brown M’17

Akash with his BCAP group. (Babson Consulting Alliance Program is a semester long project and highlight of the first-year MBA curriculum.)

Akash Veershetty MBA 2017

Hometown: Bangalore, India

Education: National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, India, (B.Tech in Civil Engineering)

Previous Experience:  Project Management for a German Engineering Consulting company, Thyssenkrupp

Activities: Mentor for Babson Coaching for Leadership and Teamwork Program, President of the Marketing Club, Student Director for the IoT Club, Co-Chair of Marketing & Sales for Babson India Symposium.

Summer Internship: Strategy Intern at PTC

How did you find you internship? Networking, Babson Faculty

Internship Highlights: I learnt about the IoT landscape and how different tech giants are positioning themselves in this space. Had opportunity to present research findings and recommendations on strategies for the new product to EVPs of the company. I initiated a partnership between PTC and Babson to increase resources and opportunities for Babson cohort. Followed by this internship, I initiated IoT club at Babson.

Tips for future Babson students: Babson takes pride in having a most diverse cohort group, both in terms of geography and work background. Learning and exposure is immense. Keep an open mind, interact with everyone (including faculty) and make sure to utilize the resources available.

Guest Contributor: Alyssa Lee, MBA ’17

Hometown: Portland, OR
Education: Colby College, Waterville, ME
Previous Experience: Marketing Manager and Business Development, The MBA Tour
Activities: Graduate Student Council: VP of First Year MBA’s (2015-2016), President (2016 – 2017)
Favorite Babson Entrepreneur: Rigdzin Tarshin, Founder – Tangkor Yak Dairy Cooperative