Summer Venture Program 2020: What You Need to Know Now
“ With housing, office space, mentorship, and a support network, SVP allows founders to focus on what matters most – building their business. Arist wouldn’t be where it is today without SVP.”
– Ryan Laverty ’20, Co-founder and COO, Arist
One of Babson’s signature programs, the Summer Venture Program (SVP) is a 10-week intensive experience that builds entrepreneurial skills and accelerates the development of student ventures. Now in its 12th year, the Blank Center is accepting applications for its 2020 cohort!
What is SVP all about?
Each year, approximately 15 teams are chosen among graduate and undergraduate entrepreneurs from Babson College, F.W. Olin College of Engineering, and Wellesley College. SVP provides participants with an entrepreneurial community, support, and resources, including:
- Free housing
- 24/7 workspace downtown
- Dedicated advisors that work with the entrepreneurs during the course of the program
- Access to expert speakers/mentors
- World-class programming that leverages the resources of the Blank Center.
Although the value of a transformative experience on an entrepreneur is priceless, each team receives services with a market value of at least $200K.
At the culmination of the program, teams present at the Summer Venture Showcase to an audience of over 400 members of the Babson and local startup communities.
The 2020 SVP will run from Monday, May 18 to Saturday, July 25.
What should I know now if I want to apply?
More details are on our “About” SVP page, but here are a few things you should know now:
- The program is highly competitive. Only up to 15 teams are accepted, so all interested entrepreneurs need to fill out an application form.
- SVP is a student experience. Applicants must be currently enrolled at Babson, Olin Engineering, or Wellesley College at the time of application.
- Applicants must be in good disciplinary standing with Babson College and the community.
- Applicants must have a viable business concept that has potential to make significant progress during a 10 week summer intensive.
- Applicants need to be able to commit full time effort to their venture and the SVP Community during the 10 weeks. Participants must be present for all core work hours, which are 16 hours a week, and attend all weekly meetings (team updates, lunch and learn, Hot Seat, advisor meetings and other sessions).
- The selection criteria consist of four key aspects:
- Team—entrepreneurial potential, complementary skills, and commitment to the venture
- Business—big market/opportunity, broad impact, differentiated product/service
- Stage—product/service near launch or already in market, ability to make significant traction and hit key milestones during the summer
- Fit—ability to learn, eager to make the best use of SVP resources and contribute to the community
SVP has two application cycles: early and regular. Below are dates you should know about!
- Friday, February 21 at 12 p.m. EST: Early application deadline
- Friday, February 28: Early application notification of interview (by end of day)
- Friday, March 6: Early application interviews (by invitation)
- Friday, March 13: Early application final notification (by end of day)
- Friday, April 3 at 12 p.m. EDT: Regular application deadline
- Friday, April 10: Regular application notification of interview (by end of day)
- Friday, April 17: Regular application interviews (by invitation)
- Wednesday, April 22: Regular application final notification (by end of day)
Join us at our one of our two info sessions and get your questions answered!: