Bringing Together Babson’s Education for Entrepreneurship

The following post is from Nicholas Valles ’18, founder of College C.A.M.P, a spring 2016 hatchery business. 

Nicholas Valles '18, Founder of College C.A.M.P.

Nicholas Valles ’18, Founder of College C.A.M.P.

Unlike most students at Babson College, I was unable to officially participate in the Foundations of Managerial Entrepreneurship course as a freshman.  Why?  Well, I am actually a transfer student from the University of Southern California.  This is my first semester at Babson, but I have already learned so much.  Despite not taking the notable FME course, my classes at Babson are enhancing my knowledge so that I may expand my success as an entrepreneur.

This semester at Babson I am taking Organizational Behavior, Financial Accounting, Microeconomics, and Foundations of Entrepreneurial Management (FME revision).  These courses are typically taken during the sophomore year at USC, but they are the foundation courses for freshman at Babson.  Even for first year courses, they are very hands-on and directly focus on the start-up environment to learn the content.  For example, Principles of Financial Accounting teaches its concepts by using actual start-up company financials to learn its content.  In Microeconomics, we apply concepts such as the supply-and-demand chain to actually start-up scenarios.  In Organizational Behavior, we discuss how relationships work and develop in both small and large business environments.  As students at Babson, we learn how to apply the knowledge from business class to both the test and to potential endeavors of our own.

I came to Babson because I am an entrepreneur.  I currently operate three businesses, and my experiences in my classes have made me a better business man.  The Babson curriculum truly integrates entrepreneurial situations into its courses, unlike other business schools, and allows me to better manage my businesses so that they are capable of substantial growth.  Not only does Babson support its students through its curriculum, but also through the real-life situations it makes us learn from.