Know What You Are Good At and What You Are Not

Things have been hectic over the past few days with the holiday shopping season creeping up and the bongo team working as hard as possible to get the site ready for the upcoming wave of traffic. On a more positive note, I’ve learned a bit about myself and what I’m good at as an entrepreneur. When it comes to starting and operating a high tech business you must have the following: (1) tech person who can make changes on the fly to the product, (2) sales/marketing person who can keep revenue/investment coming in and (3) a stellar operations person who can keep an eye on all the little things that will come back to haunt you if left unattended. I’ve always admired the tech development side of things, but have come to realize that in order to become a good entrepreneur you have to be honest with yourself about what you are and are not good at, and for me my strength is not in inventing tech, but doing the sales & marketing for it. Key things to take away: (1) make sure you have tech, operations and sales & marketing people on the team, (2) know which one you are and which one you are not. Until next time, keep on building.